So I recently (and by recently I mean literally this morning) started my vegan journey! I’ve been wanting to try veganism since last Fall but with a hectic school schedule and minimal opportunities to research the lifestyle in my sparce ‘down-time’, I decided in January that I would start this summer. Today is day one and it’s definitely been eye-opening thus far. I never realized how hard it would be for a southern girl to give up the butter but I’m excited to take on the challenge. For dinner I wanted something filling so I decided to go for some sweet potato fries. The recipe was fairly simple and I added my own twist!
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Cut up one sweet potato any way you’d like (I freestyle’d it)
3. Mix EVOO, cinnamon, allspice, and lemon peel in a bowl and toss the sweet potatoes in the mixture
4. Spread the cut sweet potato evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 30 min
5. Flip every 15 minutes to make sure they don’t burn
My thoughts: It turned out pretty good! They were a bit….
burnt crispy. Could’ve been because 450 degrees is pretty hot for the oven. I’d definitely try this out again but maybe at a lower oven temp. But it definitely met my low expectations and kept me full tonight!
If you have any tried and true vegan recipes you’d like to recommend or any you want me to feature out of curiosity please comment them below. I’m seriously willing to try anything and I’d love to have y’all with me every step of the way 🙂